While every month is Breast Cancer Awareness month at For the Girls, October reminds us to focus our attentions even more so that our efforts make a greater impact. If we want to see a world without breast cancer, we must continue the fight!
Here are a few stats from Breastcancer.org:
- About 1 in 8 U.S. women (about 13%) will develop invasive breast cancer over the course of her lifetime.
- In 2022, an estimated 287,850 new cases of invasive breast cancer are expected to be diagnosed in women in the U.S., along with 51,400 new cases of non-invasive (in situ) breast cancer.
- About 2,710 new cases of invasive breast cancer are expected to be diagnosed in men in 2022. A man’s lifetime risk of breast cancer is about 1 in 833.
- As of January 2022, there are more than 3.8 million women with a history of breast cancer in the U.S. This includes women currently being treated and women who have finished treatment.
- About 43,250 women in the U.S. are expected to die in 2022 from breast cancer. Death rates have been steady in women under 50 since 2007, but have continued to drop in women over 50. The overall death rate from breast cancer decreased by 1% per year from 2013 to 2018. These decreases are thought to be the result of treatment advances and earlier detection through screening.
- Breast cancer is the most commonly diagnosed cancer among American women. In 2022, it’s estimated that about 30% of newly diagnosed cancers in women will be breast cancers.
- Breast cancer became the most common cancer globally as of 2021, accounting for 12% of all new annual cancer cases worldwide, according to the World Health Organization.
With the prevalence of this disease, we must call to mind our neighbors and loved ones who have been directly impacted by breast cancer. October gives us an opportunity to walk with them and for them. Becoming present to their needs is the most meaningful thing we can do.
That’s why we created For the Girls® pink wind chimes–from a place of wanting to become present to our loved ones’ struggle. While giving someone wind chimes may seem like a small offering, your gift goes far!
We donate 50% of all online sales profits to charities committed to finding cures and improving lives. The soothing sounds of these high-quality chimes are a beautiful reminder that we’re all connected, that every life is making a sound, and it takes all of us to harmonize together.
So, this October, raise awareness for breast cancer by giving someone a For the Girls pink wind chime–a fighter, survivor, or someone who’s walking closely with a fighter or survivor. Remind them that peace is still possible.